The vivid colours of the different religions residing in India give the country an admirable identity. People of India enjoy the joyful freedom of following and celebrating their own religion without any constraints. Because of this, in every corner of country you can find a place of worship.
There are lakhs of Hindu temples in the country. Hindu temples have been built in a wide variety of styles that have amazed the onlookers. Worshippers have taken great care of their ancestral heritage.
Famous Temples in India
- Kashi Vishwanath
Location: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Dedicated to Lord Shiva, it is one of the holiest temples of India.
- The temple was built by Ahilyabai in 1780 .
- Hindus believes that a bath in the Holy River Ganga can liberate one from all the sins.
- Lord Jagannath Temple
Location: Puri, Odisha
- Lord Jagannath Temple is one of the oldest temples in India with 120 shrines.
- It was built in 12th century and is popular for its annual Rath Yatra.
- Pilgrims believe that Mahaprasad served here is scrutinized by Goddess Lakshmi.
- Venkateshwara Tirupati Balaji
Location: Andhra Pradesh
- Considered as the most visited temple in India with 40 million annual visitors.
- Second richest temple built under the rule of Krishnadeva Raya.
- Vaishno Devi Temple
- It is dedicated to Shakti and is second most visited temple in the country with an annual footfall of around 8 million devotees.
- Somnath Temple
- Considered as first jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva
- It has been built by the Moon God after Lord Shiva freed him from the curse of waning.
- Kamakhya Temple
- Dedicated to Goddess Kamakhya, this temple is one of the oldest of the 51 Shakti Pithas.
- As a form of worship, goats are offered to the Goddess by the devotees.
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex
- Holy place where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment.
- Recognized as a world heritage site by UNESCO.
- Mahabodhi temple is visited by both Hindus and Buddhists from all over the world.
- Siddhivinayak Temple
- A prominent temple of Lord Ganesha.
- The inner roof of the temple complex is plated with gold and the wooden doors are carved with the images of Ashtavinayaka.
- Ramnathaswamy Temple (Rameshwaram)
Location: Tamil Nadu
- Ramnathaswamy temple is the abode of Lord Shiva.
- Among the twelve jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva in the country.
- Two lingas inside the sanctum; one built by Goddess Sita and another by Lord Hanuman.
- Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
- Holy shrine of Sai Baba and third richest temple of India.
- Shirdi is the land of Sai baba, therefore, it is considered as a pilgrimage for his followers.
- Donation of Rs.350 crores are offered at the temple annually.
So plan a trip to these amazing temples with travel planners in India and we are here to make the trip memorable for you.